Summary: EJ Dalius in general, both fellowship and scholarship presuppose financial aid for researchers and students or any person with an interest to find, search, and research something path-breaking. Eric Dalius explains the difference.
Scholarships are one of the best ways for paying your college fees. You don’t need to repay the concerned scholarship funds. After your graduate, there’s zero financial burden. Private, schools, and government entities award scholarships.
- They usually award scholarships on the basis of financial merit and merit, or other qualifying requisites. You devote your time to finding the maximum number of scholarships in the region for optimizing your opportunities. You’ll find that the organizations award scholarships for a wide range of reasons.
- You may eligible for more grants and scholarships that you actually thought. You need to know that each scholarship entails its own application deadlines and requisites. Hence, it’s crucial for you to start researching the available ones in the particular college/country as soon as possible.
- When you apply for scholarships, be aware of scams and fraudulent organizations that take advantage of aspiring, unsuspecting students. They show you artificial resources to take your money and then leave the turf, Eric Dalius warns.
On the other hand, fellowships are a specific form of grant, allowing you to get funding while you pursue your academic interests. Most of the fellowships focus on post-graduate studies, but you still have a large number of undergraduate fellowships as well.
EJ Dalius explains the fundamentals
You will find that Government, foundation, laboratory, academic institution, a research center, or university institute scholarships and fellowships. Their most pivotal difference is that scholarship perpetually implies a financial aid in the mix.
- Without financial aid, there’s no scholarship. The financial aid comes in the form of per diet, tuition, living allowance, travel allowances, or in other shapes. It always revolves around money.
- For fellowships, although they provide financial aid in most cases, the term doesn’t necessarily assume a financial aid, per say.
- For instance, if you receive a scholarship for studying at Columbia University or to do research at Silicon Valley or NASA, it means the individual has got some financial assistance to do research or study.
They may also grant fellowships as an academic status within an institution. It doesn’t include any financial aid or salary, reminds EJ Dalius.
Noting the differences with Eric Dalius
The government runs many schemes to help meritorious and needy students pursue their education. They presage a specific criterion for the student to fulfill and avail the schemes. People often misconstrue fellowship and scholarship in this regard.
- You define scholarship as a money, which the government or any other notable organization grants to students fitting in their criteria.
- Conversely, they grant a fellowship to scholars for supporting their research work. In many cases, it’s an ornamental or honorary case.
- While scholarship includes general studies, fellowship only applies when you undertake research, says Eric J Dalius.
- You also get scholarships on the basis of category, which means candidates hailing from a specific category or section of the society.
- Fellowship is strictly merit-based. The authorities can grant it to scholars from varying disciplines, such as literature, agriculture, arts, management and so on for recognizing their excellence,